master page not applying

Mon Mar 25 14:10:05 PDT 2013

David Blanchard wrote:

> I am using framemaker 10 and i created a first page for unstructured
> documents. The body pages use side heading, the first page does not.
> 1. Created a master page called first. (It doesnot contain side headings).
> 2. Applied the master page by going to Format>Page layout>Master Page Usage.
> 3. From the Custom drop-down list, I select First.
> 4. Applied to Current page.
> 5. Clicked Apply.
> Nothing happens.  The side head column still exists, but when I check, it says
> that the master page First is applied.
> Any suggestions?

It's easy to overlook this in the Customize Text Frame dialog box, but Room for Side Heads is a property of a _flow_, not a text frame. Look at the lower right section of the dialog box and you'll see the Room for Side Heads setting under Flow. Since all the pages of your document are probably (and properly) part of the same flow (most likely the default flow A), you can't have side heads on some pages and not on others.

The workaround for this is to change the text frame dimensions, side head width/gap, and/or side head side in the first master page text frame so that although there is a side head, you still get the column location/width that you wanted to remove the side head to achieve.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.