global master page changes: Timestamp

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 26 14:23:55 PDT 2013

I'm coming from a medical device background, where revisions of documents are quite different than modifications (hundreds, perhaps, between revisions, even if the revision releases are only one month apart). It nice to know when a document was released and not just when it was last touched.

Accordingly, we use user variables for the revision and change it from "Rev A" to "Rev A+" after an official release and then finally to "Rev B" when that is released. Such user variables are also used for a release date like "March 2013". We would never want such a variable to update one either open, update (which also updates system variables, unless I'm mistaken) or close.

We use system variables to capture modification date/time for every file editing session (since the documents are checked in and out of a repository). With those variables in the footer on every page of a document (along with the filename variable), we know exactly what version of a document we are looking at when we see a printout or PDF of any of these files. We like the auto-update quality of a variable in this situation. [We print all this in tiny, tiny type in the footer.]

Craig