Can a variable be used in a numbering scheme in Frame V8?

Lisa Freeman Lfreeman at oneil.com
Fri May 3 04:52:46 PDT 2013

Hello All,

I have structured books in FrameMaker version 8 (customer requirement) and am having difficulties when trying to create a numbering scheme. Here's the situation:

The incoming data is xml given to me as Sections. My read/write rules and EDD create a book at the Section level and FM files for each SubSection within.

I have an attribute at the SubSection level that I am using as a variable running header/footer on my master pages. This works wonderfully for the headings, page numbers, etc.

I am trying to figure out how to use that same variable on the Body pages within an autonumbering format. I am finding lots of ways to use the variable within the text of the body pages but nothing about using it in the autonumber format.

Is this even possible? If so, can someone please point me in the right direction?

FYI - I do have control of the EDD, read/write rules etc., and can ask for changes in the xml tagging scheme provided to me.

Thank you in advance for any ideas you may have!

Sincerely,
Lisa Freeman
Publication Support Analyst

O'NEIL & ASSOCIATES, INC.<http://www.oneil.com>
495 Byers Rd.
Miamisburg, Ohio 45342-3662

Office: (937) 865-0846 ext. 3709
Fax: (937) 865-5858
E-mail: lfreeman at oneil.com<mailto:lfreeman at oneil.com>
REVOLUTIONIZING DOCUMENTATION >>> POWERING PRODUCT SUPPORT

Confidentiality Notice
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and intended for use only by the person(s) or organization listed in the address. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender at O'Neil & Associates, Inc., immediately. Any copying, dissemination, or distribution of this communication, other than by the intended recipient, is strictly prohibited.