OT: Acrobat printing bug with logical page numbers

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Mon May 6 23:01:21 PDT 2013

Rick,

You wrote:

> I have a PDF file set up with logical page numbering. If I want to print
> page 7-10 and type this in the Pages field, Acrobat prints physical pages
7
> through 10 from the PDF file instead of logical page 7-10. I tried it in
> Acrobat X and XI and the problem occurs in both. I am pretty sure it
worked
> in early versions, but I don't know what version it stopped working on. Is
> this a known issue? Thanks.

The hyphen in the page label is ambiguous, as it is also used to specify
page ranges. Technically, if page labels use a dash instead of a hyphen, it
is possible to get the expected result (e.g. print page 7-10 only). However,
having to type Alt-0150 instead of a hyphen in the Print dialog box
outweighs the inconvenience of getting to the right page (and to make it
even worse, it is not interpreted properly when typed in the Current Page
field).

As a workaround (when chapter numbers are used), one could type the page
label in the Current Page field, then print, selecting "Current page" (or
select the pages to be printed in the Pages/Thumbnails pane, then
right-click and select Print Pages).

Unfortunately, Adobe's support for page labels in recent  versions of
Acrobat/Reader is not as consistent as it used to be. Starting with v6, page
numbers in the tool tips for search results relate to the physical numbers
in the PDF, not to the page labels (actual page numbers).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://microtype.com

FrameMaker/Acrobat/Captivate training & consulting | FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants