OT: Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription only

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu May 9 11:56:33 PDT 2013

At 14:22 -0400 9/5/13, Bill Swallow wrote:

>I don't see this as being a bad thing. I see it as being different.

Yup, but as soon as you stop paying, you lose access to all your content. That's a real big psychological barrier to bridge. I can see why a subscription model would appeal to corporate users, but for freelances it's a great deal less appealing. What is even less appealing is not being offered the choice of whether to buy or rent the apps. How for example would General Motors fare if they stopped selling cars and just rented them?

Time alone will tell whether this will work for Adobe, but it sure doesn't work for a sole worker like me.

--
Steve [Trim e-mails: use less disk, use less power, use less planet]