OT: Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription only

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Thu May 9 22:37:52 PDT 2013

>> As for cars, leasing has been a huge business for a couple of decades. There's also a growing adoption of ride shares (pay for shared use of a car), and rentals still are thriving.

Yes, but when they started leasing cars, they didn't remove the option
to buy them! I'm not against leasing software. I'm against having my
choice removed to own... er... license a perpetual copy that will
continue to work without paying a monthly fee forever.

And I know I won't lose my content. I was talking about the fact that
I've got over a decade's worth of PSD and AI files. Other programs don't
always handle these native files so well, if at all. So moving to a
subscription model, if I later decide to unsubscribe, I face the task of
converting the files beforehand to something more universal, like TIF.
Thank goodness my CS6 will still, presumably work for some time, so that
I can continue to use my native files as is. But a lot of CC users are
going to start out as CC users-- not as former CS users with existing
perpetual-license software on their computers. When they unsubscribe,
they won't have an old version to fall back on. They'll be done.

Mike Wickham

--
/Sent from my supercharged custom computer with three 24" monitors. It
beats the crap out of anybody's piddly smartphone./