OT: Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription only

Steve Johnson chinaski69 at gmail.com
Sun May 12 06:52:05 PDT 2013

Adobe introduces subscription-based licensing. So many of its users find it
an outstanding value that over time, most of them license software by
subscription. Adobe is rewarded for being innovative and Adobe serves its
customers better. Everybody wins.

Adobe ends its relationship with resellers over time so that, eventually,
all users license software directly from Adobe .. either subscription or
download or disks (at an extra cost).

This is also a success story for Adobe; it's rewarded because it's
providing a better service for its customers and at the same time, it's
doing better for its shareholders. That's how capitalism is supposed to
work.

Choice is the entire issue. Everyone who made the case for subscription has
a great point. It's not what I choose but I have no reason to tell you
subscription is bad for *you*.

Choice ... it's what humans do all the time. Adobe has removed the choice
from some percentage of its users and there's no reason for it. Maybe Adobe
has gotten to the point where it no longer believes customers make Adobe
successful. Maybe they think they're so big they don't have to think about
customers anymore; we, Adobe, make YOU successful.

I don't know; fact is, they're doing their customers a disservice by
limiting our choice for how we license software from them. Subscriptions
are great, just give me back what I want and I'm perfectly content.

--
Steve Johnson, dr_gonzo at pobox.com