OT: Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription only

Ed Nodland enodland at gmail.com
Mon May 13 08:10:57 PDT 2013

I think my response is far from the mission of this forum but the statement
below just hooked me, it is also a nice diversion from the daily work to
read all the responses, and I bet our thoughts trickle back into Adobe.

A previous post said:

"The problem with customers is that they cost money to do business with."

Am I taking this out of context, or should I have it turned into a banner
that hangs near the front door or cash register.

"The cost of customer management has a negative effect on share value."

I think it depends on a companies mission statement and core values.  Are
they still passionate about the product or service, or is has it become
just about the money.  I realize both forces at play and balance is
required to sustain business.

A new business model is emerging.  I've read a lot of pros and cons on this
thread. Some will prove to be real, adjustments will be made, business will
grow, decline or maybe fail.  In the perspective of things unfolding from
the creativity of the cosmos, I see this as another iteration towards cloud
computing, but rather than stepping to total cloud computing like Google
Docs/Drive where we don't have the software at all, it's just cloud
"software delivery" for now.  It is a systemic result that emerges from
individuals trying to make isolated business decisions based on, or
building on, ideas they see elsewhere.

I'm actually more interested in watching the open source concept grow into
an entirely new economy where the passion is about the product and the
money comes from some other offshoot, or like someone wrote about Oxygen
where the academic license allows some small scale usage while the money
comes in from other larger sources.  I think the economy is going to change
in the next 50 years in ways we can't even image due to the connectiveness
of the internet and access to free and low cost entertainment, education,
information, apps, and services.

I bet the large companies that highly control software versions like a
large aerospace firm I used to work for, medical device companies that
Craig mentioned, or other safety critical product companies, are going to
be busy figuring out how to work in this new model.

Ed
You can't change the waves, but you can pick which wave you want to ride.