OT: Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription only

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Mon May 13 13:13:02 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Harro de Jong
<Harro.deJong at triviewgroup.com> wrote:
> The FM9 license states that ' you acknowledge that any obligation Adobe may have to support the previous version(s) may end upon the availability of the upgrade or update.' IANAL, but to me that implies they can turn off your license once a new version is available.

There's nothing in the FM10 or earlier licensing agreements I've read
that would allow Adobe to revoke your right to use the software so
long as you observe the restrictions of the agreement.

The clause you're quoting means that If the currently installed and
licensed version is an update or upgrade, Adobe has no obligation to
provide the support for the earlier versions. For example, if you
upgrade to FM11 while you still have an active support contract for
FM10, the support contract is shifted to FM11, and they no longer have
any obligation to provide any support for FM10.

"5. Updates. If the Software is an upgrade or update to a previous
version of Adobe software, you must possess a valid license to such
previous version in order to use such upgrade or update. After you
install such update or upgrade, you may continue to use any such
previous version in accordance with its end-user license agreement
only if (a) the upgrade or update and all previous versions are
installed on the same Computer, (b) the previous versions or copies
thereof are not transferred to another party or device unless all
copies of the update or upgrade are also transferred to such party or
device, and (c) you acknowledge that any obligation Adobe may have to
support the previous version(s) may end upon the availability of the
upgrade or update. No other use of the previous version(s) is
permitted after installation of an update or upgrade."