How to include / import by reference structured (DITA) content in an unstructured document?

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Thu May 16 19:19:36 PDT 2013

Hi Mike...

DITA files are typically XML, in which case I'm not aware of any way to
import that into an unstructured FM document using standard FM commands.
If the files are structured binary FM files that use the DITA model, you
can use the text inset mechanism to import that file the same as you
would an unstructured FM file. Just use File > Import > File and you'll
have an inset sourced by that file. The structure is stripped off when
it's imported.

The problem is that you'll be importing the entire file, so that means
the "DITA" files would need to written at a granular level below that of
the topic if you're trying to import field help descriptions. If  your
field help descriptions are made up of a title and description .. this
*could* work (A DITA topic must have a title) .. but doesn't sound like
an ideal solution.

Maybe someone else has seen this demo that you're referring to, and can
shed more light on the issue.

Cheers,

...scott