Master pages' Room for Side Heads not being honoured

Mark Lehmann topmark at netspace.net.au
Tue May 28 00:23:35 PDT 2013

I have a book file containing all the usual suspects: a front matter
file, TOC, LOF and LOT files, assorted chapter and appendix files, an IX
(index) file and an end file. [FM10, Win7 SP3]
I've created two master pages, Right_Index and Left_Index, and applied
them to the appropriate pages in the IX file. The two IX master pages
differ from the main Left and Right master pages in that they have Room
for Side Heads un-ticked and Columns = 2, so that the IX pages are all
2-column with no room for sideheads (duh).
I've propagated these two master pages to all other files in the book,
and the IX pages look correct.
So far, so good.

But . . .
After I import Page Layouts into the IX file from another file in the
book, the IX pages all have Room for Side Heads ticked!
Checking the IX file shows that Right_Index and Left_Index master pages
are correctly applied, and they correctly show Room for Side Heads = off
. . . but the document pages now all have Room for Side Heads = on. (And
if I open master pages then go back to document pages, I'm NOT warned
about overrides.)
But behold, there's more: if I manually set Room for Side Heads = off
for the main text frame on the first page of the IX file, ALL pages in
the file come good.

Any ideas what's going on?
How can I fix things so that I don't have to remember to do this manual
tweak?

Cheers,
Mark Lehmann