Feature Request - Print to File Warning

Tue May 28 07:39:27 PDT 2013

Shmuel Wolfson wrote:

> When I print to file (which I do when I make a PDF) then I later change
> to a different printer to print out a hard copy, the preference of Print
> to File remains unless I clear the checkbox. This is very annoying. I
> end up printing things to the office printer and walking to the printer
> only then to realize that I forgot to clear the Print to File checkbox.
>
> Since the majority of the time people are not printing to a file
> (especially when they are changing the printer often), could you please
> add a warning that "Print to File is selected" when someone changes the
> printer?
>
> When Print to File is not selected and the printer is changed, I don't
> think it is not necessary to have a warning that "Print to File is not
> selected," and I think it would be rather annoying. So please do not add
> a warning in this case.

I strongly suggest that you reconsider your workflow instead. First, there is no reason to print to file in order to create a PDF. If you're using a very old version of FM or are still superstitious about using Save As PDF, simply select Adobe PDF as your printer and leave Print to File turned off. You'll be prompted to choose a file name and location, and your PDF will be created directly by the same process as if you'd printed to a PostScript file and then distilled it.

Second, it's a bad idea to keep changing printers from Adobe PDF to a physical printer and back again, which generally causes the available fonts to change, potentially affecting the formatting and pagination of the document.

If you're creating PDFs, print the PDFs, not the FM files. I recommend installing the SetPrint plugin from sundorne.com, which makes Adobe PDF your default printer in FM regardless of what you default printer is in Windows.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom