Feature Request - Print to File Warning

Harro de Jong Harro.deJong at triviewgroup.com
Wed May 29 01:55:10 PDT 2013

Combs, Richard wrote:

> Second, it's a bad idea to keep changing printers from Adobe PDF to a physical
> printer and back again, which generally causes the available fonts to change,
> potentially affecting the formatting and pagination of the document.

The last time I saw any formatting actually change when changing printers was 10 years ago, and that was when switching to a non-Postscript printer and an unusual font. Thankfully, FrameMaker is much better about this than, say, Word.

Still, it bothers me that this is still an issue. Printer-based fonts should have died with the introduction of Ethernet. Why are we still saddled with this kludge? There's only one factor that should decide the layout of my document, and that's the application in which the document resides.

In FM9, when I select a printer that's not 'Adobe PDF' and I try to 'Save as PDF', I get this message:

When you create a PostScript file you must rely on system fonts and use document fonts.
Please go to the printer properties, "Adobe PDF Settings" page  and turn OFF the option "Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts."

I can't set this in the printer properties, so Save as PDF fails unless I select the Adobe PDF printer first.

Harro de Jong
Triview