Character Tag "As Is" setting--isn't

Matt Sullivan matt at mattrsullivan.com
Tue Nov 19 19:58:26 PST 2013

Sorry David, but it's your workflow that's tripping you up.

I'm sure there are other methods, but here's how I've consistently and confidently defined/updated character tags for many years:
Click outside the text flow
Open the Character Designer
Choose your tag from the drop down menu
Define properties as needed
If a point size, or any other unwanted property is defined, set it to As Is, and hit Update All.

From now on, it'll work as expected. For any bolloxed formatting, reset to the Default ParaTag, and reapply the Character Tag.

But... if you try to change properties of the character tag while your cursor is in a text flow, the Character Designer will display all values for all properties at that position in the text. Thus, if you change something and hit Update All, it'll take you at your word, and replace all your lovely As Is properties with actual values.

Bottom line: Never update a character tag with your cursor in the text flow. Unless you like screwed up tags.

-Matt

Matt R. Sullivan
co-author Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11
P: 714.798.7596 | C: 714.585.2335 | matt at mattrsullivan.com

@mattrsullivan LinkedIn facebook mattrsullivan.com