FM 8: Xref markers keep breaking and re-breaking

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 1 10:28:27 PDT 2013

I'll only comment briefly about the use of "empty" paragraphs, which is to say that they are seldom an optimum solution to issues or document model shortcomings in FrameMaker. I cannot imagine a situation where it makes any real sense to be linking to an "empty" heading paragraph. What is it that you are attempting to accomplish with empty headings?

But the real point I want to make is that FrameMaker does not link to paragraphs; it *only* links to markers. When you create a cross-reference, FrameMaker gives you the option of viewing a list of all paragraphs of a particular style so that you can choose the targtet. But when you tell FrameMaker to make the cross-reference, it does *not* link to the paragraph itself. Instead, it links to a uniquely numbered marker that is located within that paragraph; and if no suitable marker exists, it automatically creates one for you. Whether the paragraph is empty or not can determine what is displayed at the referring end of the cross-reference (e.g., the autonumber and/or the text of the paragraph); but as far as the link itself is concerned, the only thing that matters is the location of marker with the matching ID.

You can edit the text in the referenced paragraph to your heart's content--even deleting all of the text--and the link will remain intact and functional as long as the marker is still there. If you move the marker to a different paragraph, that's where the link will now point. But if you accidentally delete the marker (or conditionalize it and set that condition to hide), the cross-reference will be broken and the referring document will report it as unresolved.

-Fred Ridder