Adobe was hacked

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Sun Oct 6 16:30:11 PDT 2013

To which Robert Lauriston said:
> Getting logins and passwords for a retail site doesn't necessarily allow you to get credit card information. Many sites display only the last four digits.

Yes, but not really my point.

First, as Adobe mentioned, full credit card information (supposedly encrypted, but we do not know how strong an encryption) was also compromised on their site.

Second, what if that login/password is used to post stupid stuff on Facebook or LinkedIn for example (if people use the same info at multiple places)? Could also delete things there and require time and effort to recreate.

Third, as an example of what could happen, if I had used the same password on Amazon for example, a crook could easily buy products and ship them to a new address - my Amex card (now blocked, of course, till I get my new card!) is on file with them for purchases.

FWIW, I use different passwords on different sites, so I am not worried about my Adobe password being compromised. Regardless of which, I am changing things all over again everywhere - had to do this with the recent LinkedIn breach some months back (albeit no credit card involved there) - just doing it again now. Sigh.