Engineers as authors

Chris Despopoulos despopoulos_chriss at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 7 11:09:08 PDT 2013

I think the first step is to determine the value proposition of the product.  Then determine how much of that value must come from the engineers, and how much your group can provide.  From there the responsibilities should shake out on their own.  This may be a negotiation, but I think it's the first thing to do.  If the value of the product is clear to the engineers, they're more likely to contribute.  If you clarify what of that value is beyond your group's capability, they will have a clear idea of what they must provide.  If you clarify what your group will provide, then they will see you as adding value.

I would not deliver writing classes until you have taken care of the above.  Just my opinion...