Type 1 Helvetica, Internet Explorer, and Windows 7 Incompatible

Writer generic668 at yahoo.ca
Wed Oct 9 11:32:56 PDT 2013

Thank you for sharing your work, Mike.

Nadine
On Wed, 10/9/13, Mike Wickham <info at mikewickham.com> wrote:

 Subject: Type 1 Helvetica, Internet Explorer, and Windows 7 Incompatible
 To: "Frame Users" <framers at lists.FrameUsers.com>

 I thought I might post a solution to
 a problem that I encountered recently, since it involves the
 Type 1 Helvetica font, and many of us have installed it. I
 was having major problems with Internet Explorer (10) not
 being able to load many websites. It would load them
 partially, not at all, or loaded links would not work.

 This drove me nuts for a while as I tried to figure out if I
 had a broken flash player or something else going on. I
 finally stumbled upon the cause and solution online.
 Apparently, Microsoft changed its font rendering engine in
 IE 9. That in combination with Windows 7 has done something
 to break the ability of IE to render websites that have
 Helvetica specified as a font.

 So if you see this problem yourself, the solution is to
 uninstall Type 1 Helvetica. Since many of us have PostScript
 printers, we have installed this font on our computers. The
 recommendation is to replace with a TrueType or OpenType
 version instead. The cost of OTF Helvetica is ridiculous,
 though. So hello Arial.

 If you create websites, you may want to leave Type 1 fonts
 out of your code or your IE visitors may not be able to see
 your site!

 Here's a link to a page describing the problem:
 http://bobbyjoneswebdesign.blogspot.com/2011/12/internet-explorer-9-type-1-font-bug.html

 Mike Wickham