Differences in screen fonts not appearing in printed or pdf

Davis, David David.Davis at invensys.com
Tue Oct 15 01:42:27 PDT 2013

Rod, there are two or three main places where things can go wrong:

1. When you create the PDF, you need to make sure that you are embedding the fonts inside it.
This is controlled by the Adobe Distiller settings - there's a check box on one of the dialogs that says something like "Embed all fonts and cancel the PDF creation if this fails".  (If you don't do this, the PDF just contains the *name* of the font, and when its viewed or printed on any given device, it just asks the device politely if that font is available).

2. Your PDF viewer (eg. Adobe Acrobat) - there is usually a setting buried in there somewhere which forces it to use the fonts embedded in the PDF itself (rather than a font which may be installed on the PC you're viewing it on). Make sure that's set right.

3. When you print your PDF onto paper, you need to make sure your printer driver for that printer is set to download the fonts from your computer, rather than just use its own fonts. (Some printers have fonts stored in their own local memory). There'll be a setting in the printer diver settings called "Download as Softfont" or something like that. Make sure that's selected.

Hopefully that should sort it.
David

Message: 1