Shortcut keys for rotate clockwise/counter-clockwise

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Tue Oct 15 17:35:20 PDT 2013

Hello Fei Min,

you are probably right with presuming that there is no way to apply the
"rotate page" command to more that just the actual page.
I could not find any hint about this.

Of course you could: Remap the command to a different, shorter shortcut.
Or: Add the command to a menu.
All this would not solve your problem, I think.

a)
One way would be to write a short program (e.g. with framescript or with
Extendscript) that lets you enter the relevant pages and either rotates
them this way or back.
(Unfortunately I am no help in writing this tool.)

b)
I thing the best approach is to work with a rotated master page, as was
already mentioned:

You should define one new master page with landscape orientation and a
main text frame in it in the appropriate size, in a comfortable view for
editing. It is not necessary to add headers and footers unless these
were also continuous textflows. Nor is it necessary to create different
left and right pages, as you would only use the page temporariliy.

As you are obviously working with structured applications, this new page
should be applied to your template, so that it becomes available in each
document that you generate.

This done, you can apply the master page to the page range where the
index is located with a single command (in the master page menu). Then
you would edit the content. The you would reapply the master pages that
are intended to be used here. Probably you have to distinguish between
right and left pages, so this time you would need two actions to get
back to the original format.

And thats it...

c)
Other solutions are:
-- You could use a screen that can be rotated... I have one, but with a
configuration like this (screen rotated, content editable but not
*really* rotated), it takes some skill to move the cursor, either with a
mouse or with the arrow keys...

-- Or you could use the landscape orientation page as a STANDARD for
your index pages and not the 8x11 inch portrait master pages.
Depending on what the purpose is, you may then e.g. simply rotate the
pages in the final PDF as the very last step. This would also be helpful
for reviewing the content meanwhile in the PDF. In Acrobat, the rotation
is only one single command for a page range.

Best regards -

Tino H. Haida, Berlin

Fei Min Lorente: