alphabetic <$chapnum>

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 21 05:50:20 PDT 2013

You don't say what version of FrameMaker you are using, but I can confirm that both FM8 and FM9 behave in a way that is consistent with what you describe.

However, I think you are slightly misinterpreting what you are seeing. When you set a chapter to "Continue from previous", the expected thing is to increment the value of the numbering by one number/letter. But the command *also* sets the numbering format to match the format of the chapter of the preceding chapter. If the first chapter is set to numeric, then *all* the chapters that continue from the previous chapter will inherit that numeric format. If the first chapter in the string is Alphabetic, then all the chapters that follow the numbering sequence in the "continue" chain will also inherit the Alphabetic format.

If you need to change format starting at some point in the book (when changing from chapters to appendixes, for example), you must also specify the value to use for the chapter where the format changes. But once you've done that, all chapters that are in the following "continue" string will both increment from that new value and use the new numbering format, whatever it happens to be.

-Fred Ridder