questions re Structured FM7.2 to FM11

Matt Sullivan matt at mattrsullivan.com
Fri Oct 25 10:56:33 PDT 2013

Tino's instructions are wonderful, but I wanted to clarify one portion…

> In your structapps.fm, you define the file paths for all necessary files. All files except the DTD itself are genuine FrameMaker files.
> First, you should make sure that the structapps.fm is of the newest version. Create a new structapps.fm with FM 11 and copy (only) the application entries of the old FM 7.2-file into it (via the structure-view window), without the header.

In the Structure menu, you will find Edit Application Definitions  and  Edit Global Application Definitions. While both will open a copy of structapps.fm, you may find the first one (the non-global) to be easier to work with, as it is intended for your "custom" applications, and doesn't include the various DITA, DocBook, etc. applications provided by default. This will simplify Tino's paragraph referenced above.

Also, Structure Tools > Structured Application Designer will provide you with a dialog which helps you define the files used (and referenced by Tino) in the application.

One last "interesting" piece of trivia: Each time you modify the structapps.fm, be sure to save your changes, and to use the Structure Tools > Read Application Definitions command. If you forget (and even the best of us occasionally do…) then you will not see the effects of your changes until you restart Fm11.

HTH!!!

-Matt

Matt R. Sullivan
co-author Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11
P: 714.798.7596 | C: 714.585.2335 | matt at mattrsullivan.com

@mattrsullivan LinkedIn facebook mattrsullivan.com