So Long and Thanks for the Fish -- Migrating from FrameMaker to Flare

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Mon Oct 28 19:02:06 PDT 2013

VLM TechSubs wrote:
> It occurs to me that leaving FrameMaker cuts one’s last tie to Adobe
> Acrobat, as well. One may need Acrobat to publish from Adobe
> applications, but not to publish from anyplace else, of which I am aware.

Adobe applications don't tie you to Acrobat. FM includes a PDF-creation
add-on (an Acrobat subset, of course) that can be installed or not, and
can output in HTML, XML, too. Other Adobe programs have PDF capability
built-in. There are third-party PDF creators out there, as well.

Nobody needs PDF unless they want to create documents that will retain
fonts and formatting to display identically on every computer. But if
you want that, you want PDF-- and you probably want Acrobat because it
is the most stable and full-featured.

Mike Wickham