can corrupted FM doc be opened in some other way?

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Fri Sep 6 10:03:37 PDT 2013

I'm using FM11 on a Win7 box. I spent yesterday writing content for a
new chapter in a book, thus there is no backup from a previous day.
Nor did I print a copy of the in-progress chapter before I quit for
the evening. When I shut down last night, Framemaker was happy with
the chapter. This morning, FM crashes immediately upon opening the
file. The generated error log file is not helpful; it reports several
internal errors with multi-digit meaningless numbers. The crash is
duplicated when opening the file on my laptop running the same OS and
FM version.

To test if it might be a corrupted graphic, I renamed the referenced
graphics folder and told FM to ignore missing graphics when opening
the file. The file still crashed FM.

At this point, I desperately need to get access to the content of the
file so that I can copy the text that I've already written and start
over. Is there some other way to open this file and get at the ASCII text?

Carol

Carol J. Elkins---A Written Word LLC
Making Information Understandable
Phone: 719-948-3773