FrameMaker, PDFs, and accessibility

Urszula Witherell urszulawitherell at jetsetcom.net
Fri Sep 13 14:12:45 PDT 2013

Requirement for document accessibility is that a document has a language
specified as a property. Typically it is done at the document level (from File
Properties>Advanced) or changed in a tag property
(right-click>Properties>Language) if a specific tag language is different from
the rest of the content.

Acrobat PDF tags are limited, so "en-us" tag simply is not valid.

Valid accessibility PDF tags are similar to HTML tags. If any other tags are
used a Role Map needs to be updated in Acrobat, so that assistive software
readers, such as JAWS can interpret tags resulting from conversion to PDF.

Hope this helps,
Urszula

--
Urszula Witherell | JetSet Communications, Inc.
Adobe Certified Expert in Adobe InDesign, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe FrameMaker