Inserting inline graphics

Tue Sep 17 07:42:41 PDT 2013

Alastair Dent wrote:

> I'm using something like your suggested workflow.
>
> The downside of it is that pasting into the pre-formatted frame doesn't work
> well. Even if the scratch icon bitmap is selected, pasting doesn't replace it.
> Selecting the frame and pasting results in the bitmap appearing in the centre
> of the page. It has to be manually dragged from there to the frame.

I haven't followed this closely, but I think what you want is Robert's workflow without the pasting. Although selecting the frame and pasting should work (and IIRC it used to), pasting graphics into FM is generally a bad idea. Importing (whether by reference or by copying into the document) is much better.

Assuming you've put all the icon files in a single graphics folder, importing is just as fast as copy/paste (maybe faster after the first one).

1) Where you want to insert an icon, paste the properly sized/set anchored frame containing what Robert called the "scratch icon bitmap."

2) Click the scratch icon to select it (don't select the containing anchored frame) and press (in sequence) Escape f i f ("file import file").

3) Navigate to your graphics folder, select the icon file you want, and click Replace.

4) In the Imported Graphic Scaling dialog, just click Set; since you're replacing an existing graphic, FM assumes you want the same sizing/scaling, and you do.

The next time you do this, FM remembers the graphics folder location, so it goes quite quickly from then on.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.