Adobe licensing: the gift that keeps on giving

Joseph Lorenzini jaloren at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 10:26:59 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I am writing this to warn you about a licensing issue that could cause you
great pain. This is about tcs 3.5.

Adobes perpetual license, which I have, states that the license may only be
activated on no more than two computers. However, it doesn't specify what a
"computer" means which is really important here.

The screen on my laptop had gone bad. I got a new computer shell and moved
my hard drive from the old shell to the new shell. This counted as a new
computer from the license servers point of view because while it was the
same hardware specs various things were different such as the MAC address.

Customer support informed me that this was documented on the adobe web
site. It's not. I asked if they could clear out the "bad" activation. They
say that's impossible but they could make an exception.

I am relieved that I can still use the license but be warned: if you plan
change the hardware make sure to deactivate the license before you do.

Sincerely,
Joseph Lorenzini