Getting a handle on structured Frame

Jeff Coatsworth Jeff.Coatsworth at jonasclub.com
Tue Aug 12 10:31:22 PDT 2014

Sorry you fell down the rabbit-hole, but I'm pretty sure that you don't need to be running structured FM to create an ePUB. See http://www.mattrsullivan.com/ebooks-with-fm-rh/

-----Original Message-----
From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com [mailto:framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Theresa de Valence
Sent: August-12-14 12:08 PM
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Getting a handle on structured Frame

I started my Frame 12 experience with a new convert to ebook/pdf
project. I created an unstructured book because I
quasi-know-what-I'm-doing in the unstructured world. However, I think to
publish this book as an ebook, it has to be structured. I have had a
long running affair with trying to understand structured Frame and I
have to say that the various pieces of documentation on adobe.com are
next to useless and, unfortunately, much of the documentation by others
(and Adobe) starts with Frame 6 or segues into Robohelp. While I
understand theoretically what's going on with structured Frame, getting
from here to there is no picnic.

Anyway, I'm starting again with the "new" structured templates which
came with Frame 12. I can see that I'll have to create or modify an EDD.

Frame 12 installed 13 versions of structapps.fm on my system, either
dated 12/5/2013 or the date I installed the program. There are 6 files
which are 282KB. How do I choose which file to open?

The structapps.fm file which I did open has 3 varieties of DocBook in it
(SGML DocBook, XML DocBook, DocBook2.2.1). How do I choose which DocBook
file to start with?

Also, my project involves converting two novellas into one ebook. I
believe I'm going to require one fm book with two nested books within.
How do I add that structure to the DocBook file?

I now have ~50 files which are components of my unstructured book file.
How would you recommend that I take the contents of those 50 files and
move them into the structured book?

Thanks for your help. I'm sure there will be more questions.

Cheers,
Theresa