Getting a handle on structured Frame

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 10:57:16 PDT 2014

Hi Theresa

As others have said, it doesn't have to be structured to become an eBook.

As an aside, be aware that ePub processes can make a mess of your formatting, whether you are using structure or not: imho they are a work in progress. I know this for a fact, having seen the mess that the ePub processes can make of a nicely formatted print/PDF book - in my case, textbooks.

However, if you *do* decide to tackle the structured learning curve, I found the same problems with the structured documentation as you have when I started with structured FrameMaker. Partially as a result, I wrote a series of articles for the ISTC as a beginner's guide. If you would like a copy, let me know.

Structured is a head-banger when you're new to it, but it doesn't have to be complex, and it can be rewarding. I'd guess that starting from DocBook is not the best plan for you, especially if your books aren't structurally complex. DocBook was designed as a one-size-fits-all solution, and as a result the EDD contains zillions of elements, most of which you would not need.

Your first steps are probably:

. Do a thorough analysis of the structure you will need. You can think of this in terms of para styles to start out with, which will then be encapsulated in elements if you decide on structure.

. Decide whether structure will help you. Factors here are the amount of automation (not automation as in scripting, but the rules that structure offers) that would help helpful, and other factors such as the usefulness of XML <-> FrameMaker exchange.

. Decide on whether to create your own EDD or modify an existing one. See my comments above on DocBook.

Let me know if you'd like a copy of my beginner's guide. At the very least it will give you an idea of the complexity of structure and whether it's worthwhile for you.

--
Steve Rickaby                           <http://www.wordmongers.com>