structured application on a shared drive

jang at jang.nl jang at jang.nl
Tue Dec 16 03:53:07 PST 2014

Alan,

Having the structapps file (or text insets linked to a local structapps file) on a network drive should not cause too much traffic, as the file is only read when FM starts. Also, one of my customers has everything on a network drive and the network latency problem only kicks in when they are opening and closing 100s of files within minutes. One small file with no graphics should not be a big problem.

As for file locking: I tested and there does not seem to be any file locking when FM reads the file on startup. The lock file only appears when I open the file in FM to edit it. The fact that I can edit and save the structapps file without any changed behavior of FM - until I explicitly tell FM to read the struct apps, or restart FM, tells me that there is no monitoring of the file contents, i.e. the file does not remain open while FM runs. I could run a test script to make sure but I believe there is no reason to do so.

Just wanted to complete the discussion on this.
Jang