FM12 has char format in xref been fixed?

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 4 12:08:19 PST 2014

The essence of the workaround that was described is based on the fact that font family changes are respected in xrefs (try formatting part of a line with WingDings, for instance). Thus the kludge that allows you to define a family that incorporates formatting like bold, or italics, or blue, or whatever by simply making it look like a different font family. (Disclaimer: I have never done this.)

There are good arguments (as the one you make) for ignoring such formatting as bold, ital and the like in an xref, but ignoring a ZapfDingbat or symbol font char format could be disastrous. Imagine a mu becoming an "m" within an xref. So FrameMaker is designed not to ignore that. The wonderful thing is that you can use that "feature" to accomplish (albeit with a bit of work) what is desired by the original poster.

Craig

> Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 19:54:44 +0000
> To: celkins at awrittenword.com; framers at omsys.com; framers at lists.frameusers.com
> From: srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk