Compatibility of old(ish) Software with Windows 7

Lise Bible rentagoodbook at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 08:39:24 PST 2014

I'm on Frame 8, which is only slightly newer than Carrie (who originally
asked the question, and is on Frame 7), and am using it with no problems*
on Windows 7, 64-bit.
*once I got it fully patched, as the re-install was from the original Frame
8 disk (I went from an XP machine to new Win 7 machine).
Note: if you are moving to a new machine, and re-installing the same
software, on your old machine, open Frame, and deactivate it before
installing it on your new machine (Help>Deactivate).

Sorry, I have no tips or tricks about what other software runs on Win 7 vs
XP, just figured I'd chime in about using an older version of Frame on Win
7.

Thanks,
Lise

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:52 AM, Davis, David <David.Davis at invensys.com>wrote:

> Personally I wouldn't do it that way - as you then don't get the
> advantages 64 bit windows offers with being able to address more RAM - in
> 32 bit Windows you can only use a couple of GB. With a busy PC, big
> documents, big graphics, video etc you can easily use more than 2GB of
> memory.
>
> The pro editions of Windows 7 offer an "XP Mode" for running old
> applications (Basically it runs them inside a virtual machine of Windows XP
> - but transparently, once you've set it up, you just click the program's
> icon to launch it like any other, and it appears to be running in Windows
> 7, and can access your Win7 filesystem seamlessly).  I've never yet
> encountered an application that couldn't work in XP mode like this, even 16
> bit (!) ones designed to run on Windows 3.1.
>
> David
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 09:57:44 -0800
> From: Robert Lauriston <robert at lauriston.com>
> To: Carrie Baker <carriebak at gmail.com>,
>         "framers at lists.frameusers.com" <framers at lists.frameusers.com>
> Subject: Re: Compatibility of old(ish) Software with Windows 7
>
> Install Windows 7 32-bit rather than 64-bit, fewer potential
> compatibility problems.
>

> *** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any associated or
> attached files, is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it
> is addressed. This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally
> privileged. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its
> status. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then
> any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. This email
> comes from a division of the Invensys Group, owned by Invensys plc, which
> is a company registered in England and Wales with its registered office at
> 3rd Floor, 40 Grosvenor Place, London, SW1X 7AW (Registered number 166023).
> For a list of European legal entities within the Invensys Group, please
> select the Legal Entities link at invensys.com. Invensys PLC is owned by
> the Schneider-Electric Group.
> You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 3155 1200 or e-mail
> reception at invensys.com. This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be
> subject to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its
> subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and
> affiliates).

> or visit
> http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/rentagoodbook%40gmail.com

*Save the earth.* It's the only planet with chocolate.