Saving a PDF so that it can be edited in Adobe Reader

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 11 11:04:22 PST 2014

Marking text to be deleted with strikethrough and using notes to indicate text to be added are forms of annotation and are included in Acrobat's "commenting" capability. All forms of annotation/comment are added in an overlay layer that is separate from the text of the document itself.

"Editing text" in Adobe's terminology means adding and deleting glyphs in the PDF itself, and is *not* part of the annotating or commenting capabilities.  This level of editing has some significant limitations, one being that most versions of the Adobe PDF tools (generation XI might be the sole exception--I don't know for sure because I'm still using X) require you to have the specific fonts used in the document installed on your system before allowing you to edit the text layer of the PDF.

-Fred Ridder