Cannot insert the infinity symbol and other special character problems

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Feb 18 08:34:54 PST 2014

On 2014-Feb-14 3:23 AM, Reng, Dr. Winfried wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just for your information: The Windows Character Map tool
>
> may show characters, even if they are not part of the font!
>
> Therefore it could always happen that you try to copy and paste
>
> a certain character although it is not part of your font!
>
> Alternatives are.
>
> BabelMap, free and not very user-friendly. No installation necessary.
>
> You can start the exe which you download.
>
> http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html
>
> PopChars, often recommended, not free (30 Euros)
>
> http://www.ergonis.com/products/popcharwin/
>
> Best regards
>
> Winfried

Furthermore, the FM Edit>Utilities>Character Palette also shows
characters that do not exist in the font selected. FM will silently
substitute a different font if you insert one of those characters using
the utility. Very annoying.

I use BabelMap; once you get used to it, it's not /too /hard to use.

best,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator