Cannot insert the infinity symbol and other special character

Davis, David David.Davis at invensys.com
Mon Feb 17 00:59:16 PST 2014

Fei Min, there's a bit of confusion going on here!

When you say...

The Unicode standard is not obsolete, it is alive and well at http://www.unicode.org  :)  It is not something defined by Adobe FrameMaker or Microsoft Windows.

>  In any case, I tried holding down Alt while I pressed +221e

The Windows operating system doesn't give you access to Unicode characters by that method, so that's why that didn't work! :)

The utility bundled with Windows to get to them is the venerable Character Map tool (quickest way to launch it is press Windows+R, type "charmap" and press return, and up it pops...)
Its search function is not very good though, and it doesn't show you the characters unless the currently-selected font has a glyph for it - a bit useless, really.

If you want something a bit more rigorous and heavy duty for finding exotic Unicode characters, I'd recommend the free Babel Map utility http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html

Your method of cutting-and-pasting the character you want from Word isn't so very wrong though! - with either Character Map or Babel Map, that is still the method you have to use: find your character in the utility, then copy and paste it into Frame.
(The reason in may go wrong in Word is because Word might be showing a character using a 'Dingbat' font, which substitutes a different glyph for a different character... so when Frame renders that character with a different font, you don't get the glyph you were expecting).

Message: 1