Compatibility of old(ish) Software with Windows 7

Davis, David David.Davis at invensys.com
Fri Feb 28 01:26:42 PST 2014

Robert,
Not wanting to be "on your case" /grins/ but you obviously have a fair amount of IT expertise - many users don't, and I don't think the approach you are recommending is going to suit them.

Using legacy software is generally going to lead to compatibility problems (both with files people want to work on, and with the operating system).
Additionally, vendors support current software with security fixes - whereas legacy software is left unpatched.
And newer versions will tend to be compiled to take advantage of newer processor instruction sets (and 64 bit architecture, ahem ;)   ... so can work harder/better/faster/longer etc.

I've done more than one 'data centre migration' type documentation contract in the past few years,
Where companies were trying to migrate thousands of servers and apps, and were having real problems because they had important business processes tied to legacy software (where people had taken a "not broken, so don't fix it" approach to upgrades), and had ended up leaving themselves stranded high and dry with no easy upgrade process to new hardware and OS platforms. It is generally a false economy, either on the enterprise or the individual scale.

David

Message: 3