End-of-flow wildcard?

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 20 05:03:52 PST 2014

Maggying (named after former list member Maggie Secara, who first promoted the technique here and on the copyeditors list) was a useful technique when Word used a proprietary binary file format. The entire stylesheet and lots of other voodoo was embedded in the final pilcrow character as a big binary lump and the only way to force Word to rebuild it if it became corrupted was to Maggie the document.

But in the current XML-based Word file format (.docx, .docm, .dotx, .dotm extensions used in Word 2007 and later) does not use the same "embed formatting in the pilcrow" technique. Instead, the single file you see is actually a zip archive that contains dozens of separate XML objects that contain all the formatting info and other metadata along with other XML objects for graphics and the text of the file. There is absolutely no evidence that Maggying has any beneficial effect on Word documents that use the Office XML format. It won't *hurt* anything to do it, but it won't fix anything, either.

-Fred Ridder