Applying a character tag to text in FM10

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Mon Jan 20 15:02:05 PST 2014

On 2014-Jan-20 5:43 PM, Tammy Van Boening wrote:
> Applying a character tag to text in FM10
>
> All,
>
> A client is insisting on using a proprietary font in the source FM
> files despite my best attempts to keep them vanilla with Times New
> Roman and Arial. Theyhave supplied me with two font sets for this font
> - one is Regular weight (to be used for any paragraph tags that are
> non-Heading tags) and a Bold weight (to be used for any paragraph tags
> that are Heading tags).  I have several character formats in my
> catalog that I want to be able to continue to use. One of these tags
> is Emphasis. All properties for the tag are set to As Is with the
> exception of the angle, which I have set to Italic.
>
> When I apply this tag to any paragraph tags that are non-Heading tags
> (i.e., the tags use the regular weight version of this proprietary
> font), the tag is apparently not applied. The font angle does not
> change, and in the lower left corner of the page identifying what tags
> are being used, I seeEmphasis with an asterisk in front of it
> (*Emphasis).  I thought that maybe I had corrupted the tag somehow, so
> I applied the same tag to some text that used simply good old Times
> New Roman font in the same document, and voila, the text was
> immediately italicized and the tag showed Emphasis without an asterisk.
>
> I have not really ever had to use proprietary fonts before in a FM
> source file, so I am obviously missing something behind the use of
> such fonts that is preventing character tags from being applied as
> expected.
>
> Any guidance/assistance is greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> TVB

My first guess is that the Regular font set does not contain the glyphs
for italics -- especially given that the client has provided a
completely separate file for Bold. So FM is attempting to apply the tag,
but it can't change the appearance because the needed characters don't
exist.  You might be able to redefine the tag to use "Obliqued" as the
angle, and FM will try to fake italics by sloping the roman glyphs. But
the true solution would be to purchase the italic font file required.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator