FrameMaker freaks me out

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Thu Jan 23 10:42:00 PST 2014

Steve Rickaby wrote:
> At some point while editing yesterday, and I'm not sure what I was doing, *every chapter* in the book I'm working on started displaying all its text as if someone had picked it up and randomly scattered it across the page - complete loss of vertical leading, and sideways shifts as well. It was clearly something internal to FrameMaker's display engine, as opening unopened chapters showed the same thing.

> After nearly having a coronary, I closed down FrameMaker and then re--opened the book, and everything then looked fine, and has remained fine.

> I've never seen anything like this before, and it's probably shortened my life expectancy somewhat. Anyone else experienced this?

Happened to me once quite a while back - all tables, in particular, were totally messed up. And, as you noted, a re-start of FrameMaker showed everything was fine - whew!

Since then, I have relied on two things:

1. A daily incremental backup schedule that backs up all my changed files every 2 hours (using ShadowProtect from www.storagecraft.com). So that I can recover if I need to.

2. A manual copy of all the FrameMaker files associated with a document into a directory called BACKUP, below the working directory, *just* before I kick off a new editing session - particularly if it has been a few days since I last worked on something. So, that I have a prior editing session version available.

And, of course, the problem has not recurred since then ... (my belief: carrying an umbrella prevents rain from falling! :))