Now OT, I suppose. RE: Adobe pricing policies (was: FrameMaker 12 released)

Roger Shuttleworth shuttie27 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 08:54:27 PST 2014

Hello Framers

It has been interesting and entertaining to read the various posts about
upgrades and pricing. Thanks to Syed for persisting with this. A few
statements that have been made raised my eyebrows somewhat:

"Three releases of FrameMaker in 18 months" - really? I must have missed
two of them. FM 11.0.1 and 11.0.2 were "critical" bug fixes, meaning
that QA had somehow missed testing minor things like publishing a book.
I'm unaware of a FM 11.1 or 11.2, and so is the Adobe website.

"I just keep smiling when I use the new FM12 UI". This in a supposedly
unbiased review. Woohoo, coloured icons. Reminds me of a Windex ad.
Enough said.

But to be serious for a moment: All the complaints about prices, pricing
models, low-value releases, poor documentation, etc. constitute a very
cogent argument for structured authoring and XML, with its independence
of proprietary tools. These are the very evils that the XML community
have been inveighing against for years now - the old "evil empire"
comments that used to be made about M$ and other software vendors. It
seems to me that any Framers who are not yet using structured authoring
and XML, and/or are not convinced about its benefits, should do some
serious thinking about where the future lies. Even Adobe has figured
this out.

Speaking personally, I think the only real argument for continuing to
use FrameMaker is its so-far peerless PDF generation capability. For
that you don't need to upgrade at all. And as soon as a cheap or
open-source alternative appears, that argument becomes irrelavant.

Roger Shuttleworth
(now) Wirral, UK