Problems with documents imported from Word

Theresa de Valence TdeV at bstw.com
Tue Jul 29 08:15:35 PDT 2014

Hi Framers,

What do I do to clean up files which originate in Word or PDF. I'm
turning crime fiction novels into ebooks and have run into a few problems.

Case 1:
I import simple Word files into Frame then publish as epub or mobi. In
the finished version there are strange display behaviours in the middle
of the book (font size and weight and italic drastically change, then
return to normal).

Is there a way I can "clean" files before I begin preparing them for
publishing?

Case 2:
You may suggest that I ask this question on a Word forum, but everyone
here knows everything, so here goes:

Client has no "original" document so I've taken his PDF and used Adobe
Acrobat to convert to text, massaged it in Frame to fix various things,
then copied and pasted in Word. Going through the editing process, I
cannot join two paragraphs together (by deleting the carriage return)
and the Track Changes feature shows all kinds of formatting changes,
which are totally unnecessary. In this case, I also want to strip the
document of any formatting.

I never work in Word to do any work, except when I am copyediting a
nearly complete document (using Track Changes).

Advice please?

Thanks,
Theresa