XML/EDD Vertical Text Placement in Structured Frame 12

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Thu Jun 5 09:59:35 PDT 2014

Hi Tim...

There are "top of page" properties for paragraph styles but not "bottom
of page". The only way to specify vertical placement of content (within
the same flow) is to specify the "space above" or "space below" for that
paragraph tag.

For the main body of each page, you'll likely need to use different
elements to define the various types of content so you can assign
differing para tags which apply the right formatting. For the content at
the bottom, the only thing I can think of is that you'd set up that
content as attribute values of an element rather than content, then
you'd include that in the footer region of the page and reference the
attribute values as header/footer variables.

Here's a rough example. First the XML ..

<pages>
<page pm="Dr. John Manager" poc="Jane Poc / John Peosey">
<title>Test of invariance at the South Pole</title>
<subtitle1>A-985-S</subtitle1>
<subtitle2>NSF/PLR Award 9876543</subtitle2>
</page>
</pages>

Then on the master page expand the footer area to accommodate the new
info and use the header/footer variables ..

Running H/F 3 = "<$attribute[pm]>
Running H/F 4 = "<$attribute[poc]>

.. with a little tweaking, it *should* work.  :o

That's all that comes to mind .. not terribly complex, but a little
tricky. Maybe someone else will have another idea.

Of course, there's also the scripting route. You could create an
ExtendScript or plugin that performs whatever post-processing is needed.
I think the header/footer variables approach would be easier for this
situation, but if your formatting gets more complex you may need to get
out the hammer.

Cheers,

...scott

Scott Prentice