Import by reference question: Word conversion to FM11

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Thu Jun 5 11:53:44 PDT 2014

When I need to convert a Word book into Frame, the workflow I use is
to print the Word book to PDF, open the PDF in Acrobat, and export
all of the graphics as .eps files. Then I import those by reference
into the FM book. (I rename them first to some meaningful filename.)
However, sometimes for reasons I don't understand, the graphics
exported out of the PDF are rendered in multiple horizontal strips
and are not usable.

So my second workflow is to open the PDF page with the problem
graphic on it in Illustrator, select the graphic, copy it to a blank
file, and save it in Illustrator format. I import the Illustrator
graphic by reference into Framemaker.

I'm using more and more Illustrator graphics as direct imports into
my Framemaker documents. It saves time to not have to convert them to
.eps or other graphic format. Plus, when I click them in Framemaker,
they open directly in Illustrator for editing.

Carol