Moderating framers WAS: FrameMaker graphics question

Harding, Dan dharding at illinois.edu
Thu Jun 5 07:57:02 PDT 2014

I made a similar complaint about the over-moderation and delays as of late on this list, and the message was never posted to the list... as I expect this one to not be posted as well.

Manual approval for every single message to the list is an outdated method. For those people who need help resolving problems in a timely manner, having to wait until the next 24- or 48-hour moderation point comes up slows down communication and resolution in both directions.

On an open list, responses can be made and viewed as fast as the parties make them. With manual moderation, party A makes a request, it's actually made public up to 24 hours later. Even if someone responds with an answer, THAT response won't be seen by the originator (unless cc'd) until another 24 hours pass, thus slowing down each response cycle to as long as 48 hours.

This list was not always manually processed like it is now. What brought it on, and was it approved by the list membership or unilaterally decided upon by one or two parties? For that matter, as Craig asked, who is actually in charge of this list?

For the list to be effective, the communication needs to be in real time (or as close to real time as email allows).

-Dan