Word Tables to Frame 12Tables

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 18 09:39:28 PDT 2014

Because the Word and FrameMaker table models are fundamentally so different, I find that it is best to only import the content and nothing relating to the "tableness".  From Word, first use the convert table to text command, then copy the tab-separated table contents. Paste the text into Frame and then use convert the table to text command to create a table with the appropriate table format applied.

If you bring a Word table into Frame as a table, it coes along with a bunch of properties that you then have to get rid of, like the "custom ruling and shading" flag being set for all cells in the table and the heading row not working properly.

Also do yourself a favor and make sure that the Word table doesn't have any merged cells. If you are using my text-only method, you'll have an unequal number of cells in some rows. Or if you're bringing it in as a table, FrameMaker's equivalent functionality (straddle) works *completely* differently under the hood, and the import operation won't correctly figure out how to reconcile the two.

-Fred Ridder