Round-trip revisions via MS Word. Alternate methods?

ant at ant-davey.com ant at ant-davey.com
Mon Mar 3 13:18:39 PST 2014

Dan,

I also work with internal and external SMEs. And I'm in a boat heading
in the same direction. I envy you if most of your SMEs REALLY know how
to use Word, to the same extent that you know Frame. I've been trying
to get SMEs to use my Word templates, with restricted formatting
options, for over 2 years now. Some are getting it, but there are many
who think that copying an pasting their pre-drafted content into my
template constitutes 'using' the template. And there are those who
don't even pretend to know and still create documents using Normal+
(100% inline formatting).

Getting them to use a restrictive number of formats is just the first
step towards structured authoring. The ones that really have me
tearing my hair out are those who use Heading 1 and maybe Heading 2
and then every subhead below that is Normal+Bold. Those ones are NEVER
going to understand the significance of structure.

Good luck,
Ant