What do you all recommend for showing "space" characters?

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Fri Mar 14 18:09:25 PDT 2014

Hi, everybody.

In my specifications, I often need to "show" a space character ... for a text format sample, for example.

I usually use a fixed-width font (Consolas) for these format samples. This helps to make the space character obvious, but isn't perfect.

Elsewhere, I have also seen the use of an underscore-like character with little "upticks" at the end.

What do you all do for this purpose? If you use a printing character to denote a space, what character do you use?

Is there a character in a fixed-width font (ideally Consolas ... I went looking but did not find something convenient) that would be good?

Thanks!