framers Digest, Vol 101, Issue 27

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Fri Mar 28 11:25:51 PDT 2014

Thanks for trying, Winfried. Unfortunately, text in the middle of the
cross-reference isn't annotatable. The I-beam cursor starts
red-lining wherever it is placed and the user can't segregate just
the text that they want to annotate from the surrounding text in the
cross-reference.

I think that either identifying the revision in a balloon or
encircling it with an added explanation is the only option. Since
cross-references exist on a layer above the text, I was hoping there
was a nifty way to "drill down" below the cross-ref layer to get at
the text. Worse case, I could teach my reviewers how to delete all
cross-refs in the document, but that is too complex and also defeats
the purpose of checking to ensure the cross-refs go to where they should.

I'll add it to my list of feature requests.

Carol