Generating web-based help

Bill Swallow techcommdood at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 11:35:53 PST 2014

David, you don't mention what tools or process you use to create the CHMs,
but I'll try to answer your questions:

1. As Roger mentioned, you cannot open a CHM over the web or on network
drives. It's a format for local deployment only.

2. You can probably just use the uncompiled HTML.

3. If you use the uncompiled HTML, you shouldn't need to change any
formatting.

Bill

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Roger Shuttleworth <shuttie27 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello David
>
> You cannot open a CHM over a network drive. It's a security issue that has
> been around for years.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Roger
>
> Sent from my smartphone
>
> On 10 Nov 2014, at 15:53, David Millis <David.Millis at DrakeSoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
>  Up to this point, I’ve never generated web-based help, only Microsoft
> HTML Help 1.x with Framemaker 7.2 as my source documents. The program that
> my help is used in is now being used as part of a suite of web-based
> programs. When I view the CHM file in the web-based application, I only see
> the books, chapters, and headings on the left side. I don’t see any of the
> actual Help content. That very same CHM file shows all as it should when
> the application is on my C: drive.
>

> My questions are:
>

> 1.    Is there a setting I need to generate the help for the web-based
> application?
>
> 2.    If I need to change the output, what output do I need to select
> that would require the absolute bare minimum of work on my part?
>
> 3.    If I choose a different output, do the style and paragraph settings
> that are part of the HTML Help 1.x output automatically come into the new
> output type?
>

> Thank you so much for your help in advance.
>

> David Millis
> Drake Software

> or visit
> http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/shuttie27%40gmail.com