Problem with playing video clips in FM 12 document viewed in Adobe Reader 11

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Fri Nov 14 07:33:26 PST 2014

Reader is basically a subset of Acrobat. Having both on the same machine
doesn't necessarily accomplish anything that Acrobat can't do alone.
More importantly, testing on the same machine doesn't give a true test
of what it's like for another user with a different environment. For
example, say you forget to embed fonts. Since Reader is on the same
machine as where Acrobat created the PDF, it has access to the same
installed fonts and will find them. But users viewing on other machines
will likely suffer font substitutions and that result could be horrid.

Testing is important. I know that I have created forms in Acrobat in the
past, that worked fine on my computer-- even after a sending them to
myself in email-- but did not work on other machines because I had
forgotten to set something. So testing on another computer can eliminate
false positives.

As I recall, Dov Isaacs of Adobe recommended that testing was only
really valid if done on a plain, vanilla computer that had the basic OS
and default fonts installed, along with a single version of Reader--
which can be done in a virtual machine.

I do agree, though, that it was dumb to design Reader and Acrobat in a
way that the various versions can corrupt other versions installed on
the same computer. Adobe's many other software programs seem to allow
installation of multiple versions without issues.

Mike Wickham